ACTIVITIES WITHIN CHACALA, MEXICO
There are many activities and opportunities to explore in and around Chacala. You may choose to walk, have your own transportation, hire a local shuttle and/or guide service or engage one of the local Chacala fishermen to transport you by panga boat. This little piece of paradise is not just a location for relaxation, but also a place to have fun and make new friends.
- One of Mexico’s best-kept secrets is the surfing on the Nayarit Riviera beaches. The local fishermen are available to shuttle you by boat to La Caleta surf break just north of Chacala Bay.
- Some of the best snorkeling on Western Mexico is along Chacala, Chacalilla and Las Cuevas shores or an excursion by boat to Islas Marias. Calm, clear waters are perfect for snorkeling and swimming. Bring your snorkeling equipment for a wonderful day!
- Local fishermen provide boat excursion services for whale watching, snorkeling, site seeing and to remote beaches.
Tobarras Jungle Ride
- One hour from Chacala is the Tobarra adventure. Enter the mangroves by boat. See everything from birds to snakes to crocodiles! It is about a two hour ride, and there is a restaurant nearby to enjoy a nice meal, and even a swimming area.
- Chacala restaurants offer fresh seafood including shrimp, fish and lobster.
Pair it up with your favorite drink for a fabulous meal.
There’s always beer, sodas and margaritas.
- Bask in the sun and swim in the ocean as long as you like! The unique shape of the shore keeps the waves calm on most days, making swimming and water activities safe and fun.
- A guide will take you through the jungle as you interact with the plants and animals on your way to the petroglyphs. Here you’ll see that the stone will tell stories of the history and culture from 2300 years ago. You will be amazed at what you’ll find here! Morning visits recommended.
- Hike to the bays, neighboring Chacala, through the extinct volcano or through the jungle. The past eruptions of the volcano created a lush, organic soil that allows the plants to thrive. The flowers and trees create a spectacular ambiance to enjoy as you hike.
Touring and Shopping
- There are many opportunities to shop and tour in the area:
Las Varas shopping on Mexico Sur and Revolucion Pte. in Centro to experience an active Mexican farming town.
La Penita’s Thursday open market full of beautiful, hand made products.
San Blas for a jungle tour or visit the historic Spanish fort and old church ruins that housed the bells in Longfellow’s poem “Bells of San Blas“.
- We have local guides that can take guests to their hotel, take a tour of the town, act as a travel guide and more. Our guides are often our high school students who like to help and practice their English!
- Sport fishing can be found in the ocean shelf off Chacala.
Fish for mahi-mahi and watch the whales, turtles and dolphins.
- The hourly rates for massages vary, but start at $30.00. There are special oils to enhance the massage and smooth away your stress.
- All her students will agree, Trini is the best Spanish teacher in Mexico. She conducts both private and group sessions. Group lessons (3 to 6 students): $10.00 per hour per person. Individual/private lessons: $15.00 per hour.
- We have a list with over 170 species of birds that birdwatchers have spotted around Chacala. Join Americans and Chacala residents for early morning or late afternoon walks. Bring your binoculars, and we will provide the list!
Facts about Chacala
- A relaxing fishing village 50 miles north of Puerto Vallarta
- A picturesque bay with a beautiful sand beach
- Great weather: rain is confined to the summer months
- Winter temperatures range from 70° to 80°; you can wear short sleeve shirts in the evenings!
- Chacala Bay’s beach has recently been certified by the Mexican federal government.
- The Chacala beach and restaurants are a quick walk from Orofino
- Fruit orchards and lush jungle vegetation offer exceptional scenery
- Emergency clinics locally, with modern hospitals less than 2 hours away